Sunday, October 25, 2015

Lolita Blog Carnival: Adding DIY touches to a Lolita Wardrobe

Originally posted February 1, 2013

With the amount of tutorials floating around the internet, you can have an entirely handmade Lolita wardrobe, with the exception of (maybe) shoes. You can view a huge list of Lolita tutorials hereThe only parts of a Lolita’s outfit that seem to be lacking in the tutorials available are blouses and cardigans, which is a shame.
However, if you have a cheap-ish blouse you like, you can take it apart and use it as a template. And if you’re really attached to the blouse you have, you can put it back together when you’re done. I cannot stress enough how helpful it is (for me) to have an already assembled item that I can take apart and use to create my own.
Here are 9 of my favorite tutorials:
dress
1. This one was taken down, but I think you should be able to view it with this link. This is by far the best Lolita dress tutorial that I’m aware of. It’s pretty easy to follow and a good base if you want to change the design a bit.
skirt
2. A super simple, full elastic waist skirt tutorial. This is the easiest skirt you will ever make, but you can use this tutorial to give it a half elastic waist instead of a full one if you want a little bit more challenge or you don’t like the aesthetic.
chest1
3. A cute pirate chest purse from MakeLovely. I love this idea and I think it’s really clever.
tights
4. BJD tights! Gosh, I love these so very much. I adore the idea of using these in some sort of guro broken marionette doll coord. The only thing stopping me from going out and doing this right now is the fact that I’d want to do it on my arms as well.
apron
5. An apron tutorial. Aprons are really expensive, especially Lolita ones. The cheapest one I could find was $20 at F+F, and I take issue with spending so much on something whose purpose is to get dirty. I made mine with leftover muslin fabric.
socks
6. A thigh high sock tutorial, excellent for ladies who happen to be larger in the thigh area, like me. I’m sure it would be just as easy to make knee high socks, too.
blouse
7. I felt like I needed a blouse on this list. This was the best blouse tutorial and pattern I could find. Unfortunately it costs $16. However, they also have tutorials for pintucks and a lace collar, and you could adjust it so the shorter sleeves use elastic to be puff/princess sleeves. And this tutorial will help with sewing the sleeves on without wanting to commit mass murder.
parasol
8. I’ve already mentioned this in my parasol post, but it is a great, simple tutorial.
collar
9. A simple faux fur pan collar tutorial and pattern with little pompoms.
So there are my favorite tutorials. I hope they helped you. I’m thinking about trying to make some of my own tutorials when I have more time to sew. I have a ton of projects I want to do.
545430_945698161629_573562109_n

No comments:

Post a Comment